To register for the Cosplay Contest please fill out the form here.
Divisional awards (Junior, Novice, Journeyman, Master)
Trophy + $100 cash
Certificate + $50 cash
Best in Show (Craftmanship, Performance)
Trophy + $100 Cash
Judge Awards will also be issued
ENTERING THE COSPLAY CONTEST
• Have a valid Phantasy Con Badge to enter the Cosplay Contest. To contestants that enter online, you are required to show your badge to the Cosplay Table in order to finalize your entry.
• Craftsmanship Entries, you MUST have made/modified 70% of your costume. NO LESS. Disqualification will take immediate effect if not complied.
• You must have a costume to enter the Cosplay Contest. You may enter both Craftsmanship and Performance.
• Only enter into the appropriate category for Craftsmanship and Performance. If one person makes a group of costumes, all recognition goes to the Creator, and the group will be entered as if it were one costume.
• To participate in the Cosplay Contest, you must submit a completed registration form. You will receive a time for prejudging either by pre-registering or on Friday of the convention during open registration at the Cosplay Table.
• ALL Entries MUST meet at the designated room for pre-judging within 15 Minutes before their assigned time.
• Please note that all Contest participants must report to (Julia Belle Ballroom) for line-up and final instruction. You will be informed of this time at check-in. If you are late, we may assume you have dropped out and you may be removed from the lineup.
• Junior – Contestants 14 and under ONLY. If the contestant wishes to be placed in a higher division, they may. This category is the same for both Performance and Craftsmanship entrants.
• Novice – Contestants who have won 1 Major Award or less. (Best in Category, Best in Show, Judges Award)
• Journeyman – Contestants who have received no more than 2 to 4 Major Awards. (Best in Category, Best in Show, Judges Award)
• Master – Contestants who have received 5 or more Major Awards. (Best in Category, Best in Show) Division Rules
• Major Awards count as Best in Category and Best in Show or Judges Award.
• Group entries enter the highest eligible division based upon whoever in your group has the most Major Awards (IE.: if someone in your group has 3 Major Awards, then the group will compete in journeyman)
• If you are not sure what skill division you should be in, feel free to contact email@example.com
• The Cosplay Judges have the right at any time during the Cosplay event to move an entry to a different skill division, as they see fit.
• You MUST have made/modified at least 70% of your costume to be eligible for Craftsmanship judging. Store-bought or commissioned costumes (made for you by someone else) are not eligible for Craftsmanship entries.
• Any entry that attempts to submit under false pretenses will be disqualified immediately. NO EXCEPTIONS.
• Any Sandbagging, meaning any costume that has previously won a Major Award is not eligible for entry. Disqualification will be effective immediately.
• Craftsmanship entries must provide PRINTED reference images so the Judges can thoroughly evaluate your costume fairly even if you’re not in the room. Do not assume the judges will know your character! Please bring full-body, full color, and official images of the character you are cosplaying. These need to show the character wearing the outfit from varying angles and sides (if possible).
• A group may enter Craftsmanship. All groups must enter under the class of the most experienced member. Should they win, they’ll share the prize given for winning.
• All Craftsmanship participants will be judged Saturday in the designated area. Judging times will be assigned upon entry in blocks based on the allotted time. Please arrive 15 minutes prior to your scheduled judging time.
• Open registration will be on the Friday of the convention at the Cosplay Table.
• Craftsmanship entries not in Performance will participate in the Showcase (walkon). They will do three poses, pausing to let pictures be taken.
• Should a group win a performance award, they’ll share the prize given for winning
• Performances are limited to a maximum time of 5 minutes.
• NO LIVE STEEL. Anything that could be mistaken as a real weapon must be cleared by convention security as per con guidelines. You must bring all props to rehearsal for approval.
• Your performance content, including language and thematic content, must be family-friendly. The Cosplay Events Heads and Cosplay Judges reserve the right to disqualify, modify, or remove a skit they feel is inappropriate.
• Please do not leave anything on stage when you exit. NO GLITTER.
• Performance entries must attend a mandatory skit approval on Saturday. If your on-stage presentation deviates from what you showed the cosplay staff at rehearsal, you will be disqualified. DO NOT SURPRISE US.
• Stage combat and gymnastics must be approved by the Cosplay Events Heads. Please ask if you have questions; we want your skit to be great, but we also want the temporary stage to stay stable during your skit.
• If you wish to use prerecorded audio, you MUST send the MP3 audio file to Cosplay@phantasycon.com before the cut-off date, which will be stated in an email confirmation. Please have your skit audio ready-to-play as one single track.
• Make sure it is an MP3 file. We will NOT accept anything else. We will NOT edit your audio for you.
• The Cosplay Events Heads have the final say in all circumstances and disputes and may modify rules at any time if necessary.